Today Microsoft has released the public beta of Windows Server 2012 Essentials.
Windows Server 2012 Essentials is the replacement for Windows Home Server, Windows Small Business Server Standard and Small Business Server Essentials.
Windows Server 2012 Essentials has the following features:
- Dashboard implements the Metro user experience styling
- Office 365 module is now built-in
- Remote Access website has been updated with new color scheme and has option for tablet and desktop modes
- Anywhere Access enables VPN and / or Remote Access website
- Media Streaming
- Built on Windows Server 2012 with full access to Storage Spaces, Windows Server Backup, and leverages Active Directory
- Official support for Windows 8 Release Preview
For the build number curious amongst us, this is build 9552 and is available today from the Microsoft Download Center. The CRC and SHA1 hashes for the ISO have been posted below along with steps to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO.
Hashes for today’s release:
To run MSCDCRC against an ISO file that you have downloaded follow these steps.
- 1. Download MSCDCRC to the same folder that you downloaded the ISO to. (Click here to download MSCDCRC)
- 2. Open a Command Prompt window and navigate to the folder from Step 1
- 3. Type “MSCDCRC InstallDVD.iso” (without quotes)
- 4. The integrity check will take a few moments to complete. After the check is complete compare the CRC and SHA hashes to the hashes posted above
- 5. If the hashes match then you have successfully downloaded the ISO